Was heading to a BBQ for Australia Day where I didn’t feel that the standard coleslaw would really cut it. Instead I decided to prepare a delicious potato tarte tatin – a savoury spin on the french classic.
It was the first time I ever made it and it was amazing. Replace the apples with potato, the sugar with garlic and rosemary and slap on some purchased puff pastry into your frypan before you head.
The rocket salad on top cuts through the richness and makes this an amazing side with a perfectly BBQ’d steak.
POTATO TARTE TATIN
3 large potatoes, sliced with mandolin
1 eschallot, sliced thinly
3 stems thyme
1 sheet store-bought puff pastry
Dressed rocket leaves for serving
1.Preheat over to 180 degrees celsius.
2. Melt the butter in a small frypan, approximately 20cm in diameter.
3. Fry the eschallots in this butter until softened. Sprinkle thyme leaves over the eschallots. Season with salt and pepper
4. Fan the sliced potatoes around the pan overlapping in a neat circle.
5. Cook on medium-high heat potatoes are starting to brown. Add a small amount of water if it’s drying out too much.
6. Cut a round of pastry to cover the potatoes in the pan. Pop in the oven for 15 minutes.